Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Roundabouts day 6 by Robert the wedding crasher


Roundabouts can be fun when used properly.
Knowing that we only had a short ride ahead of us we took our time getting on the road from Hue to Hoi An.  Before we got on our bikes we jumped in the truck with Ngoc and toured the city.  Keith let me sit in front so I could better witness how Ngoc navigated the streets in his big four wheel drive truck.  I am glad we are on motorcycles.  I could never drive a car through this mess. How people do this every day without going crazy, killing themselves, or killing others, is beyond me. 
Ngoc is a great guide.  He conveys tons of information on the history of the towns we are passing through.  I wish my ability to retain the information equaled his ability to dish it out.  In the first town we home stayed in Ngoc told us about the mating rituals of that town.  He said that if you like a girl you follow her home to find out where she lives.  Then, because the whole family sleeps in one large room in a stilted home, you have to find out what part of the room she sleeps in.  Once this information is obtained you then must take a stick and knock three times under her, being very careful not to get it wrong and knock under her father.  If you get it correct she will come out and meet you.  If she likes what she sees she will talk to you, if not she will send you away.  (And I thought dating was hard in the states.) 
Today, in Hue, we went to a large temple on the Perfume River that used to house the ruler who used the Perfume River to travel up and down to oversee his minions.   
After lots of pictures were taken we headed back, had a beer, and mounted our bikes for the short 90 mile ride to Hoi An.  The ride out of town was fun.  Weaving in and out of traffic and using our big bikes to their full advantage over the small scooters that fill the streets.  Before crossing the mountain pass we had to fill up with beer and food.  As we stopped and dismounted our bikes I was overwhelmed by the loud music coming from the building next to our stop.  I went to investigate and discovered that a large wedding was going on and people were doing Karaoke and drinking very heavily.  I, before I was able to protest, was swept in by the people and asked to sit down at their table.  I was immediately given glass after glass of beer with many toasts that I could in no way understand.  I could understand that they were having a great time and were more than willing to be generous with anyone who wanted to help them celebrate.  Keith, wondering what happened to me, came to investigate and found me sitting at a table full of food and beer being stared at by the other twenty people at the table.  He sat down, found a cute young translator, and then proceeded to entertain the group.  The guy is a ham.   
When we finally went back to our restaurant next door some trickle over from the wedding followed us. A guy who was sporting two lovely women by his side came walking in.  Keith started to strike a deal with the guy to have one of the girls join him.  He did this by trying to barter us to the guy, who told him he preferred boys, in exchange for the girl.  He told the guy that this would not be a problem since both Scott and I also preferred guys.  I hope Keith knows that payback is coming. 
Once over the mountain, which featured some great riding with ocean views, we came down to China Beach where we found a new toy, roundabouts.  Since we were so far of Ngoc we decided to continue to ride around the roundabout until he caught up.  This immediately turned into a race where we were riding counter clockwise as fast as we can.  With our left feet out and our bike leaned over as far as they could go we went round and round as fast as we could.  Scooters entering into the roundabout only added to the fun.  If only we could do this at home. 
Hoi An is, according to Ngoc, the oldest city in Vietnam.  Built in the 15th century.  It is a photographer’s wet dream.  This place is beautiful.  After taking a dip in our hotel pool we walking around the city before we stopped to have dinner and more beer on the river.  A woman selling toys tried to sell us a few things.  She had this toy that you lit up and flung into the air with a rubber band and then watched as it flouted back to earth.  The bargaining started at 60,000 dong for three.  We offered 30,000 and she countered with 50,000.  I offered her a deal.  I told her if she could launch the toy higher than Keith I would give her 50,000.  If Keith’s was higher 30,000 was the price.  They both loaded up at the same time and on my command launched into the air.  We all cheered in amazement as the woman, who was half Keith’s size, launched her toy twice as high as Keith.  I am now 50,000 poorer. 
Did I mention that I love Vietnam?  I also love roundabouts.
Posted by Robert the wedding crasher

No comments:

Post a Comment